Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Tuesday, 18 February 2014

The Summer 2014 Fantasy Book Reading Challenge!

I, Ashana Lian of Ashana Lian - A Fantasy Writer's Blog present to you -


The Summer 2014
Fantasy Book Reading Challenge!


Source: goodfon.su, wallpaper by Nimarra


The Idea

If you read only one book per month, that will put you into the top 1% of income earners in our society. But if you read one book per week, 50 books per year, that will make you one of the best educated, smartest, most capable and highest paid people in your field. Regular reading will transform your life completely. 
-- Brian Tracy at briantracy.com

When I listened to Brian Tracy's 'The Power of Self-Discipline', he said that if you read for 60 minutes a day, perhaps a little in the morning and a little in the evening, this translates into more or less one book a week.

If you read one book a week for a whole year, that's 52 books a year,
that is the equivalent to a PhD in your field.

I don't know about you, but this stunned me. If I read one book a week on investing, or accounting, of success strategies or self-development, for a whole year, then assuming I actually retained that information, I would have amassed a lot of knowledge on that topic.

That's where I got the idea for my reading challenge.

I mean, I'm quite sure Brian Tracy was referring to non-fiction books in the above quote, but I'm sure I can balance both fiction and non-fiction. I'm supposed to be reading books for university at the moment, and also I am incorporating self-development books and books on investment. But last summer, I managed to read at least 10 books from roughly May to September - that's quite slow for me, to be honest. In the past I've read much more. So assuming that my holiday this year is, again, from about May to September, and I read fantasy books only, I should aim for the target of 20 books in that five-month period (4 over 4 weeks, for 5 months).

I'm quite excited about the idea because, as I said before, I was fallen sorely behind with my fantasy books. When I'm at work, I see new fantasy books arrive in the delivery and I immediately write it down on my hand, but then it'll go into my Amazon wishlist and stay there for months on end while I struggle to keep up with university work.

Assuming I can meet deadlines by the summer, I'm definitely going to give this a go. In the meanwhile, I'll be reading every singe Robert Kiyosaki book I can find and a whole host of other non-fiction books I've wanted to read, though I won't go into it now.

I'm just glad that this current cycle of depression is over - ever since it started to fade, I began to love reading again.




Rules

Soo - I thought, to make it fun, I'll create some rules in case anybody else wants to join in!


How does a book qualify?
It must be a Fantasy Book. Because the point of this exercise is to catch up on books I saw a while ago, they don't have to be published within any particular timescale. It can be by any author and of any size; it can be as petite as The Fellowship Of The Rings or as colossal as a GRRM book. But...


Exclusions?
... like I said, it must be fantasy, and it must be a book.
Paranormal Romance, Young Adult (YA), and children's books (eg. The Hobbit) are not allowed.
Also excluded are comics and mangas.


When does the Challenge begin and end?
I'm beginning mine from May and ending in September because of when the university semesters fall, but I know most school summer holidays are from mid-June-ish to August. So although my target is 20 books, I'd pitch the average Summer Fantasy Reading Challenge goal as about 10 books.


Achievement Score
(based on the challenge starting mid-June and ending 30th August)

5+ books: Novice Status
10+ books: Master Status
15+ books: Sorcerer Status
20+ books: Sovereign Status
25+ books: Deity Status


Progress can be tracked using a goodreads bookshelf, but I get the feeling I'll end up not bothering. Instead I'll post what I'm reading, what I've read, and what's up next on a blog widget. At the end of every month, I'll review the 4 books that I read.





Well, I can't think of anything else because my brain is turning to mush, but I can't wait for this challenge. Next week I'll probably do a post about the books I can't wait to read. =D Until then, may the force be mildew. I mean, with you.



Ashana Lian .

1 comment:

  1. I wish I had the time to do this challenge :( Maybe in the summer...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts