Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Thursday, 8 January 2015

Ashana Lian Fantasy Challenge || 2015 Link-Up

And now... what you have all been waiting for...!


As an avid reader of fantasy, I was delighted to start the Summer 2014 Fantasy Book Reading Challenge (phew, mouthful) when I broke up from uni. I'd fallen behind a lot of adult fantasy novels while I'd been in education. It was an intense five-month challenge and I aimed to read 20 books within the fantasy genre ONLY. I adored doing it.

However... =/ I understand that for many people, fantasy can be 'difficult' to get into. I've no doubt this is why other forms of fantasy become popular, such as YA books and film/TV adaptations of adult fantasy novels.

So I decided to change the format of this challenge. It's now year-long, and this way you can read other genres beside fantasy and still have a chance of hitting the target. Also, I've made the rules looser; YA fantasy, mangas and comics are no longer excluded, although they do count as half a point. I hope that this new and improved challenge will allow people who've really wanted to get into fantasy to do just that, and finally see what so awesome about my favourite genre.


Rules- You can begin when you like, but the challenge ends on 31st December 2015.
(Link-up closes on 3rd March. After that, leave your link in the comments.)
- Keep track using a blog, goodreads, Shelfari, etc.
- Adult fantasy fiction only, no non-fiction about fantasy.
- Books can be any subgenre of fantasy: eg. Science Fantasy counts, but Science Fiction does not.
- YA fantasy, children's fantasy, comics and mangas are allowed, but they only count as ½ of an entry because they are easier to read.
- Paranormal romance DOES NOT COUNT. It is not a fantasy sub-genre but something else entirely.
- Books can be any size and published at any time.
- Your goal: 12 books. You're allowed to read non-fantasy during the year (though I can't imagine why you'd want to =P) but if you are a fantasy fanatic like me, then go for the Fierce Deity trophy! (+1 to the first person who gets that reference. Srsly e_e)
- Anyone can enter, but to validate your challenge you must write the Entry post.

Note: if in doubt, check Goodreads and Amazon. If they both state 'fantasy' as the first genre, then I say it counts. (Although they do make mistakes sometimes. But for the challenge it's okay.)


TrophiesInstead of levels, I use Trophies. You earn a trophy when you reach that score (don't forget to count up your halves) and immediately start earning for the next one. I'm going for the big thirty-six!

4 books: The Avatar
8 books: Shinrabanshō Scholar
12 books: The Reader Who Lived/Shall Not Be Named
20 books: Ye Who Sits Upon The Iron Throne
36 books: FIERCE DEITY!!


Choose whichever one you like.



|

I MUST JOIN YOUR WORLD. (O_O) How do I begin?1. Write an Entry that says you are doing the challenge on a blog or likewise, and list the first 4 books you'd like to read (this can change as you go along). SO. MANY. TO. CHOOSE FROM.
2. Grab the AL Fantasy challenge banner for your Entry post and link back to this blog.
3. When it's been posted, grab the ALFchallenge for your blog's sidebar/footer.
Finally... join the link-up! Make sure you put the link to your post and not your blog.
Don't Forget: support all those who take part!

Click Here for the AL Fantasy Challenge Goodreads Group.



To Get You Started:
Here's some fantasy novels I rated 5-stars.

Epic Fantasy: Magician by Raymond E. Feist
High Fantasy: The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss, A Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N. K. Jemisin
Dark Fantasy: (? can't think of any.)
Steampunk Fantasy: The Falconer by Elizabeth May
Slipstream Fantasy: (... well now I know what I need to read this year.)
Urban Fantasy: Rivers of London by Ben Aaranovitch - in fact, just read the whole series, it's hilarious.
Science Fantasy: A Natural History Of Dragons by Marie Brennan
Historical Fantasy: Across The Nightingale Floor by Lian Hearn


YA Fantasy: Half A King by Joe Abercrombie, Vampire Academy Book 4/5 by Rochelle Mead - but start from 1.
Children's Fantasy: The School For Good and Evil by Soman Chainani; Harry Potter - I think Goblet of Fire (Book 5) is my favourite - but start from 1, Philosopher's Stone.
Comics: The Runaways Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan; Superman/Batman Volume 2: Supergirl by Jeph Loeb.
Manga: Immortal Rain by Kaori Ozaki; Psyren by Toshiaki Iwashiro

Classic = The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien
Popular = Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

CLICK TO TWEET! "I'm doing the Ashana Lian #Fantasy #reading challenge. It's super easy & twice as awesome. Do it. http://bit.ly/1xMamFM #alfantasychallenge"

Please comment, tweet me, or pm my Goodreads if you have any questions. I hope you have LOOOOADS of fun, and I'm eager to knock heads with more fantasy fans! *dances*


Ashana Lian .



P.S. THESE BUTTONS DIDN'T TURN OUT SHIT! MIRACLE! (I really wasn't happy with the last one.)
P.P.S. Check out my two other 2015 challenges!

6 comments:

  1. I'm not doing any challenges this year but I really like the sound of this one, I hope a lot of people participate! :) Fantasy is a great genre, I wish more people would give it a chance. Some of these titles are new to me, I'll definitely have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alise!
      Oh, I get you. If I manage to succeed in torturing myself this year, I'll probably take a break a year XD I do adore fantasy. I've been fascinated by how many people have gotten into fantasy novels via comics or children's books or YA. I think it's becoming more and more mainstream... many fantasy fanatics I know are both delighted and dismayed by this. a_a Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this sounds super fun. I'm already a bit daunted by the Goodreads challenge and I'm trying to read more YA this year, though, so I might not be muster the courage to join. Still, your suggestions make for an awesome reading list! (Also, A Song and Ice of Fire! R+L=J ;P)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? =/ I bumped up my Goodreads challenge from 52 to 55, which is just over one book a week. Fantasy novels can be quite long so I'm trying to motivate myself for it. =D

      Ohhh you should join! Then again, even if you want to link-up in February that's okay. Anything you've read from now to then still counts - so if you'd read 5 YA fantasy books, that counts as 2½ entries! (Oh. My word. I've heard about that!!! People are getting really excited about that theory aren't they? I don't know how I feel about R+L=J yet. O_O)

      Delete
  3. I was going to join up but I only read YA. :( And I don't think I'll read 24+ Ya fantasies because while I LOVE fantasy...I do have to be in the mood. My brain is small and weak. xD YOU ARE THE FANTASY QUEEN OBVIOUSLY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cait! OK that makes sense. You can always change your mind if you get to June and realise you read more than you thought. Don't forget, comics and mangas count as half too.
      (Haha not a fantasy queen yet, but I'm getting there! I'm going to read like a BEAST this year.)

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts