Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Thursday, 12 February 2015

My Fantasy Artwork Start-To-Finish In Pictures

An Experimental Superhero Sketch in Images:
Because it's much easier to appreciate how much work went into something when you see how it started out. (In my case, disproportionate and illogical.)

Today I'm linking up with Tabitha at Not Yet Read!

1. Original Sketch
2. Trace
3. First Copy
4. B&W First Look
5. Tracing Again On Makeshift Lightbox
6. First Dabbles In Colour
7. Some Rouge And Matilda's Ribbon (joking)
8. Keeping My Pencils Sharp With A Burger Sharpener.
9. Quick Look
10. Another Portrait (Getting A Bit Blotchy...)
11. Sketching Dark Anti-Energy Ball
12. Testing Yellows
13. Finished Light Spear
14. Traced Leaf, Finished 'Big A' Insignia
15. Begin Energy Stream
16. Rainbow Pencil!
17. Testing Out Energy Stream Colours.
18. Defining Dark Anti-Energy Ball
19. Left Arm
20. Right Arm
21. Colour Leaves
22. Final Close-up (I don't like the face anymore. It's messed up.)
23. And Voila.
24. -

Verdict
I liked this experimental piece, despite not knowing what the hell I was doing. I guess I wanted to see what I could really do with colouring pencils. Better than I thought, but still a long way to go.

Also, it looked way better in partial colour. Second nicest was black and white. I actually like it LESS now the whole thing is in colour. Oh well. You live and you learn.


Ashana Lian .

I've got one or two doodles up on Pinterest and Deviant Art.
I need to draw more often! My skills really need some work.

TALK TO ME, CREATIVES! Have you drawn or made something lately? Or written something c: Tell me about it below. I reply!

14 comments:

  1. That is awesome - I love how you've shown all your stages!
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's always a bit nerve-wracking to show my sloppy art, but hopefully one day I can look back and laugh. c:

      Delete
  2. I love the eyes! And the shading. I can never seem to get shading right when I draw. Probably why I started painting and crochet instead of drawing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would LOVE to do painting! I find it really therapeutic. I have to find out where my old paints and brushes are, I've had little canvases sitting around for ages. Shading is a big problem for me too. I usually spend some time studying the artists I admire before I attempt it on my own pieces. Thank you for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Very cool! I'm way too lazy to do start to finish type posts cause I always forget to take pictures of the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha me too! But I remembered this time because I haven't done something quite like this before. I thought, 'If I mess this up, at least I'll have pictures of an earlier stage'. And that was good thinking, because I'm not 100% happy with the final result. Thank you for commenting! (And for doing the link-up in the first place!)

      Delete
  4. This is so cool. (The rainbow pencil and burger sharpener were big highlights :P). There's so much thought to making just one piece, it's brilliant. FREAKING AWESOME! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Mahima! Those were highlights for me too :3 Guess what? Between the lettuce and the beef-patty-thing is where the fries and cola erasers are!! It's so cute, and only £1.17 on eBay. >.< I'm going to try and draw every week... but I'll only do an artwork post once a month.

      Delete
  5. Oooh, this is really nice! I tend to admire people who draw, just because I can't—mostly I stick to coloring books and that is my life. :P Still, I like the step-by-step pictures. It does a really good job following your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think so. =] Man, I love colouring books, mainly fashion colouring books. Especially now I'm older and I take more care... I hate watching kids colour outside the lines!! Colouring is another thing I find therapeutic. Thanks for dropping by!

      Delete
  6. Ooh, I love how you showcased your drawing process step by step :D But I never knew you did art as well, Ashana! That's simply amazing -- I am in awe of multi-talented people. Also, burger sharpener. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alyssa =] I like to do pretty much anything artistic! I used to do crafts and makes cards and things; I've been a part of dance and acting performance groups; and I love music and singing. But writing is the one thing that's been with me throughout all of those phases. The great thing about art is that when I've been on my laptop for ages and my eyes hurt, I can take a break and doodle.

      I know. I couldn't resist that sharpener.

      Delete
  7. Gosh, those drawings were so good! I'm afraid that my artistic talents are strictly limited to stickmen and the like, so I could NEVER draw something that good.
    You sould post more of these drawing tutorials (did I use the right word there?). Keep up your great work!
    I have a blog too, if you want to give it a little click-sy. (Seriously, did I really use that word. Ugh, *buries head under pillow in shame*) It isn't as good as this one, I'll admit, but I am quite new to this whole blogging thing.

    www.blindeyesoftheworld.blogspot.com

    Hopefully, you'll give it a little look and (maybe) a little comment? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh truuust me, I am not above drawing stick men, especially when I need to understand the posture of the character before I draw them! I'm not as good as I'd like to be but I know that will come with practice. The struggle right now is making SURE I practice! Thank you for your encouragement. Always appreciated. c:

      Aw 'click-sy', that's so cute! I'll probably end up using that word now, LOL. XD Sure, I'll check out your blog!

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts