Ashana Lian's Fantasy Lab



Fantasy and Fantasy Writing from every angle: fantasy and sci-fi novels, films, artwork, superhero cartoons, children's and YA books, manga, anime, video games and comics. Put the microscope on 'Geek Culture'.

Tuesday, 10 February 2015

Ultimatum: Read or Die


I must imagine: 
- I'm very ill and reading is the only cure
- The world is overrun by zombies and the only way to repel them is to read
- I'm stuck in the Cube/school/dystopian universe/Twilight/other horrifying destination and the only way to escape is through the portal that is a good book.
It's pretty much what I've going to have to do to get out of this reading slump. I'll tell myself, "If you don't read this book, you're going to have to run ten laps around the park." And I wouldn't survive such a trial. So I pick up a book.

(1/5Book Haul

This post will be about a bunch of stuff. First and foremost... I'M BROKE, YAY!!! My library and I are the best of friends again. I went straight to the fantasy and sci-fi section and tried to drag the whole shelf out but they wouldn't let me. So I grumpily settled for the measly 15 my library card allows me. (I'm joking. Fifteen books is a FEAST!)


Haul: Fringe: The Zodiac Paradox; The Night Eternal by Guillermo Del Toro; Exile and Sanctuary by Rowena Cory Daniells; The Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss; The Republic Of Thieves by Scott Lynch; Discovery Of Witches and Shadow Of Night by Deborah Harkness.

I really want to buy some Doritos to eat while I read, but this junk eating needs to stop. >.<

(2/5I. Could. Not. Resist.

YOU ARE MY LOYAL READERS AND THEREFORE I SHALL NOT LIE. Despite my broke-ness, I did preorder some very very exciting books about to be dropped this year.. =D


- The Vanishing Throne by Elizabeth May: the sequel to The Falconer! CAN'T WAIT!

- Voyage Of The Basilisk by Marie Brennan: A Natural History Of Dragons (click for my review) was amazing. I just, asdfghjkl. I want it now.

- Very Good Lives by J.K. Rowling: Isn't this her first non-fiction book ever...? I MUST HAVE IT!

- The Last Ever After by Soman Chainani: After falling in love with The School For Good And Evil (click here for my review) I will read ANYTHING Chainani writes. I will probably lose all sense of reason when this series ends.


(3/5Make Sure It's Not A Chore

As mentioned on my Goals for 2015 post, I aim to read at least 52 books this year, which you can follow on my Goodreads. I've come across some amazing challenges that can make reading that bit more fun!

I can do ten challenges in one year, right? Right?!


<< Bookish Bingo by the Great Imaginations

Authors A-Z Challenge by Tracee at I'm Shelf-ish

British Books Challenge by Michelle at Fluttering Butterflies

Debut Author Challenge by Jana at That Artsy Reader Girl


(4/5) 2015 Reading Challenges Entry Post x3!!

Long overdue! I'll be checking in with those who signed up this week to find out where you're at. I have a cute group of four so far! Very cosy. Group hug! *hugs Mahima, Bridget, Bec and Alyssa*

There's still time to link up; you can literally tweet that you're joining in, link up the tweet, and begin. Simples! *makes cute meerkat face*


TBR Smash reading challenge - Post | Goodreads Group

My first five books!! 3 out of 5 are library books, which I think is a good strategy. I should also get round to books I borrowed from my sister but... meh.

1. The Fellowship Of The Ring (done)
2. Red Rising (done)
3. Dark Eden (done)
4. Two Towers (in progress)
5. Discovery of Witches



Trilogies and Series reading challenge - Post | Goodreads Group


Fun fact: LOTR is six books published in three volumes, not a trilogy! I did not know this. =D

1. Lord Of The Rings series by J.R.R. Tolkien
2. The Gentleman Bastard Sequence by Scott Lynch
3. The Outcast Chronicles by Rowena Cory Daniells
4. Legend Series by Marie Lu
5. The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin

Under The Never Sky series by Veronica Rossi (recommended by Charnell from Reviews From A Bookworm) was originally on this list, but I wasn't very moved by the first one, so... yeh. Bleh. (sorry Charnell! I know you love the pants off the Rossi books.)

The Kingkiller Chronicles (by Patrick Rothfuss) I want to read so BAD, but the third book isn't out yet e_e

If you're not a fan of my challenge, you can also try the Prequel & Sequel Challenge by Jessi at Novel Heartbeat and Melissa at Writer Grrl Reads.


AL Fantasy reading challenge - Post | Goodreads Group

1. The Fellowship Of The Ring (done)
2. Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City comic (counts as half)
3. Under the Never Sky (counts as half)
4. Two Towers (in progress)
5. Discovery of Witches

Red Rising is technically sci-fi so it didn't count.

I'm trying to be clever about this, so I can complete several challenges at once. I'm limiting the books that I buy, so almost everything I read will be from my TBR, physical or virtual. After that, I just have to pick fantasy books that are part of a series, and I should be swimmin' through this!!


(5/5Coming Up Next:
FINALLY my header illustration post! One month overdue! Also some very overdue book reviews, some fantasy writing and reading tips, blogging tips, tags and awards, and pretty much ALL the things that should've been posted last year... Oh well, what're ya gonna do?


Ashana Lian .


I feel bad for forgetting to do updates! If I forget, you can also check my
Twitter, Goodreads, Pinterest, and I recently made a Wattpad account!
(mainly to read Cait's novel. c: )


Have you bought, borrowed, won or pre-ordered any books so far this month? Are you doing any reading challenges? Leave a comment, and I'll reply!

4 comments:

  1. I just started reading the Lord of the Rings for my series challenge! I'm surprised because it's a lot better than what I thought. xD Outside of school reading, I haven't bought any books this month. My library and I are also going to become best friends. <3 Not a book, but I did preorder Battle of the Five Armies DVD. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *g a s p* I can't believe I haven't seen The Battle Of Five Armies. How did I forget? D= My original plan was to go see it the week it came out but then I was switching jobs and everything was stressful and bleh. I must see it soon somehow. O_O

      The LOTR books is AMAZING and hilarious and I think Tolkien is a brilliant writer. (my sister isn't such a huge fan of the books but she likes the movie.) The Hobbit is definitely funnier and more lighthearted than the LOTR. I hope you like it! (Yeah, the problem with classics is... they set into your mind that they're gonna be boring before you even begin. e_e )

      Sooo many people I know are on a book buying ban. It must be the aftermath of Christmas or something. I guess everybody's broke. =P Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you and the library are best friends again! :) Libraries are awesome, I'm a little sad to be leaving mine and going to a job in a college library. At least I don't have to deal with drunk randoms any more! YAY! :)

    You've got a lot of challenges to tackle this year. Good luck with them all! I always end up forgetting to update my progress, so I've kind of given up on the challenges.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw! Wow that's gonna be different. LOL yeah, no doubt the random drunk will be exchanged with rowdy students. Still, at least you'll be in a library, that's a plus. I've switched jobs as well: bookstore -> ... admin, I guess. It's strange!

      Yeah, and I'm starting to feel the weight because now I'm part of a lot of Goodreads groups as well. Haha, you can always drop by the Goodreads post in December and I'll give you all your trophies for the year at once. Then again... it is kind of a hassle when you read so much! Hehe. Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by! Ashana Lian always replies to comments and if you leave a link, she'll visit your blog or website. Don't be shy!

Popular Posts